BoD Minutes – July 2023
NCR SCCA Board Meeting
July 19, 2023
Attendees: Kit Williams, Al Heatwole, James Shanks, Bruce Dover, Megan Tyler, Chris Severt, Anna Crissman, John Bodnar, Lee Hill, Sam Fouse
Guests: Ben Tyler, John Lindquist, Chuck Stanley, Chris Schimmel, Rex Loden
- The meeting was called to order by Anna Crissman, NCR RE, at 7:05 pm.
- Motion to approve the minutes from the June Board meeting ( Heatwole / Shanks ). Approved.
Treasurer Sam Fouse had sent the financial report to Kit Williams, Secretary.
As the details of our finances are confidential, NCR members who wish more information should contact either the Office Manager or any member of the Board of Directors. They are also invited to attend a Chapter Meeting, where such matters are discussed in detail.
Chris Severt said the Cape Fear Chapter met on the 5th at Ogden Tap Room with 7 people, all of whom were regular attendees. They discussed past and upcoming racing. Chris said they plan to continue to meet on Wednesdays for the time being. Lee Hill said the West Chapter met with 14 people on the 11th at their usual location, Elizabeth’s. Lee said they spent most of the meeting talking about the Runoffs, the Flagtronics in-car flag system, and Rockingham and had a lot of fun at the meeting. James Shanks said the Triangle chapter met on the 12th with roughly 15 people, including a few new attendees. They helped the new members with several questions, watched some in-car race footage, and looked at some antique race photos.
There was no old business to discuss at this time. There are several items the Board has discussed previously that we are still waiting for relevant updates on.
- Scholarship Fund Update: John Lindquist gave an update on the scholarship program, which has been working towards setting up a foundation as has previously been discussed. The program has just given out 5 scholarships for this year as was announced on our website. John said we are opening up the scholarship foundation as a 501(c)3 program, which will allow donations to be tax deductible. It will also allow other things to be donated to the foundation, such as vehicles or endowments. Our current funding is coming mainly from driver donations and lunchtime drive-arounds at our races at VIR. The foundation is called the NCR SCCA Scholarship Foundation and John has been hard at work on the paperwork necessary. John was hoping to have this all finalized much sooner but it is proving to take more time to get everything set up. The foundation will have its own website separate from NCR SCCA. The foundation itself will not award scholarships itself, but it will fund the Scholarship Program, which will not change much from its current setup. John said they are expecting the program to continue to grow, and having the 501(c)3 foundation will allow for even more growth. John said they will be at the IMSA weekend at VIR in a few weeks and will also be at the Runoffs at VIR later this year. John clarified that a scholarship gets paid to the school that the awardee is attending and is a one-time payment.
- 2024 VIR Dates: Anna opened a discussion about the dates we have been given by VIR for 2024. This is a complex issue that required more information before the Board could make any decisions about the schedule or any dates. The Board will continue this discussion in the coming weeks and at the next meeting. No scheduling details are available to be made public at this time.
- September TT Planning: Anna said the September 9th-10th TT at NCCAR is open for registration on motorsportreg.com for attendees and volunteers. The event is following the schedule we normally do for our TT’s with the full Time Trial and either a two day or single day track event as well. We are planning to start an advertising campaign for this event soon, as we are still a good way out from this event happening.
- November TT at CMP – Jim’s Race: Anna said the registration for this event has opened as well. We will be supporting SCR SCCA and Racing for ALS, just like we did last year. It will be on November 11th and 12th.
Al Heatwole wanted to bring up a recent tragic incident at an SCCA Pro Solo event the previous weekend, resulting in the loss of two autocrossers’ lives. Lee Hill shared the known details of the incident. Everyone shared their sympathies for those affected and mourned the loss of two fellow Sports Car members.
Sam said VIR informed us we would need to pay $3566 for rolling door fees from VIR. He felt this was reasonable. He has not received an invoice yet but will pay it when he receives it.
Motion to adjourn ( Hill / Heatwole ). Approved at 8:15pm.
Please note that all NCR members are welcome to attend NCR Board of Directors meetings.
If any member should have a question about the Region or its activities, please contact the Office Manager or any member of the Board.
Submitted by Secretary Kit Williams