The Triangle Chapter of the NC Region SCCA met on Wednesday, October 5th at El Rodeo in Raleigh. 12 members attended including one spouse. The normal upstairs meeting room was once again unavailable, so we met downstairs in a less than ideal open meeting room area. I’ll be checking with the restaurant if the upstairs room will be available to us for future meetings and if not we will definitely be looking for a new meeting place. If anyone has any suggestions for a place with a meeting room and food and adult beverages in the Raleigh/RTP area please let me know just in case.
The formal portion of the meeting started around its scheduled 7:30 time. Mark covered the following topics of the last Board meeting:
- Possible modifications to the Region’s policies for reimbursing officers for attending official meetings, such as the SEDiv Mid-year and annual meetings and the National convention were discussed. Currently officers often end up paying out of pocket to attend meetings. This is on top of officers often taking off time from work to attend these meetings. This discussion will continue.
- Art and Nancy Sinnott of F&S Enterprises, the folks that have done an outstanding job as the Region’s official photographer and maker/presenter of our Road Racing trophies, were in attendance to voice some concerns to the Board. Most of the issues could be traced to misunderstandings and miscommunication. Solutions were developed to improve communications and establish a better working relationship with their operation.
- The Board approved race entry discounts to those that went out of their way to transport their cars for the Region’s display at the IMSA event.
- Anticipated budgets for the upcoming Goblins Go and Halloween Enduro races were briefly discussed with a note that we had good preliminary entries for the first event but were currently short of workers.
- Sam Fouse shared that he had been approached by the Formula Vee leadership about holding their anniversary event at VIR. However, the Region is unsure it can provide all of the needs of the group, so the issue remains under discussion.
- Sam also noted that the Majors races would be 2-tierd next year and that our Region had been selected to host on of the 12 top tier “Super Tour” Majors events.
- James Shanks reported that our membership continued to grow from 764 to 772. These recent additions were attributed to the hard work of those at the Region’s booth at the IMSA event.
- Morgan Mehler provided an update on possible opportunities at Rockingham, the Region’s former race track. Morgan noted that the track had contacted him to let us know that the ownership/management of the track had stabilized and they were in a position to work with us on arranging possible dates/costs for renting the track next year. The board will be discussing the possible events we can host there and working with the owners to establish prices for rental and services such as security, ambulance and fire/rescue. We are working on scheduling a site visit to check out the track and facilities.
- Buddy Matthews provided an update on the annual awards banquet to be hosted by the West Chapter this year. Details should be available in the Newsletter.
We then discussed all the upcoming events and opened the floor for Swap and Sell announcements.
A motion was made to adjourn and folks returned to socializing prior to heading home for the evening. If you haven’t come out to one of our Chapter meetings in a while, please consider joining us. We’d love to see you! The November meeting should be entertaining as there should be lots of in-car video to watch from the last 2 races. I personally have a couple of exciting “incidents” for folks to watch.
Mark Senior – Triangle Chapter Coordinator.